Other Sports

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
edited February 2012 in Chill Out
I know this forum is supposed to be about Football in India but we should also try to talk about Other Sports in India in the hope that India becomes a Sporting nation. Here is a overview of some notable leagues.

Indian Premier League (Cricket): Best sports league in India which started when support for Cricket in India was at its prime. Recently though support has been going down due to a rapid rise in other sports. Although I for one hope that the league stays good in support in India.

World Series Hockey (Field Hockey): A sport which is the national sport in India which saw a rapid decrease but now could see a rapid move in reinterest with the WSH which promises and looks like it will be a success unlike its former Premier Hockey League.

Elite Football League of India (American Football): That shit league from America that wont effect Indian Football except for the fact that it will ruin many pitches. Example being the Balewadi Stadium in Pune which will now be destroyed due to the stupid lines on the field.

Rugby: A sport I hope rises in India and gets its own league. Right now the top league is the All India and South Asia Championship which is the equal of the Durand Cup in Football because the tournament is full of mainly Army Teams.

Basketball: The only American Sport I like. Our sponsors, IMG Reliance, also sponsor this sport in India and with the help of the NBA (Americas BBall League) they plan to start a Pan-India Basketball League which would have 12 teams spread all over India. I see them doing well and cementing the 4th best sport in India.

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points
    the likes of indian volleyball league and maharashtra badminton league(a team format which is also linked to be converted into national level league) also completed a successful years with some leagues for wrestling(olympics) and kabaddi is also doing some rounds
  • the likes of indian volleyball league and maharashtra badminton league(a team format which is also linked to be converted into national level league) also completed a successful years with some leagues for wrestling(olympics) and kabaddi is also doing some rounds

Sweet. 2012 Olympics may not be India's year but 2016 Olympics, India will dominate.

BTW, by wrestling do you mean boxing or actual men in small shorts on top of each other
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5664 Points
    good that finally someone came up with this thread. I was thinking about it but was apprehensive abt the reactions of other IFF members
    While we are at it, let me tell you I am an equally avid Indian Hockey fan. I am eagerly waiting for the WSH. The MHA stadium that was recently renovated is just a 20 minutes TIFR bus ride. And they have now renovated it. It's beautiful!
  • good that finally someone came up with this thread. I was thinking about it but was apprehensive abt the reactions of other IFF members
    While we are at it, let me tell you I am an equally avid Indian Hockey fan. I am eagerly waiting for the WSH. The MHA stadium that was recently renovated is just a 20 minutes TIFR bus ride. And they have now renovated it. It's beautiful!

Oh so your a Mumbai Marines fan then. Well good luck to you guys. I am starting to get into hockey. It was tough before mainly because in America, hockey is an ALL-Girls sport with very little (very little) mens leagues. Ice Hockey is the hockey over here but that is boring and would never work in India.

I hope Hockey finds its feet again. Its a great sport and a world sport so if we do well again then India will gain the status of a somewhat sports country.

Also same for Cricket. I know some people are happy about its decrease but I want it to go back up. Cricket is the only Indian dominated sport I can talk to my family about. They could care less about Indian Football and Hockey (except for the Commonwealth games, then its a Indian pride thing to support the Hockey team)
    the likes of indian volleyball league and maharashtra badminton league(a team format which is also linked to be converted into national level league) also completed a successful years with some leagues for wrestling(olympics) and kabaddi is also doing some rounds

Sweet. 2012 Olympics may not be India's year but 2016 Olympics, India will dominate.

BTW, by wrestling do you mean boxing or actual men in small shorts on top of each other
    the wrestling i am talking here about is the one in which sushil kumar won bronze in olympics and not the WWf stuff wrestling...and for boxing with the presence of world series boxing i dont see the chance of national league coming and i was thinking we should start a topic of "INDIA AT LONDON OLYMPICS" also as the big event is closing on
  • the likes of indian volleyball league and maharashtra badminton league(a team format which is also linked to be converted into national level league) also completed a successful years with some leagues for wrestling(olympics) and kabaddi is also doing some rounds

the wrestling i am talking here about is the one in which sushil kumar won bronze in olympics and not the WWf stuff wrestling...and for boxing with the presence of world series boxing i dont see the chance of national league coming and i was thinking we should start a topic of "INDIA AT LONDON OLYMPICS" also as the big event is closing on

Oh.... ya that is the best type of wrestling in America. I honestly did not know about Sushil Kumar though.

Also for boxing we need an Indian version of Amir Khan (yes I know he is pakistani but he is still my favorite boxer).
    some good indian news on other sports
    1. sahara renewed sponsorship with hockey india till 2017
    2. indian u-21 team reached finals of u-21 WC and lost to eventual winners and squash powerhouse egypt .(i just wish our news channels covered this news given that we were the host )
  • some good indian news on other sports
    2. indian u-21 team reached finals of u-21 WC and lost to eventual winners and squash powerhouse egypt .(i just wish our news channels covered this news given that we were the host )

Just saw a video clip of the Squash Finals. That was so amazing. The crowd was high to. Indoor sports could be a big thing in India. That is why I think Basketball will do well to.
    some good indian news on other sports

Just saw a video clip of the Squash Finals. That was so amazing. The crowd was high to. Indoor sports could be a big thing in India. That is why I think Basketball will do well to.
    the reason for good crowd support is that all racquet games are already good in southern states as most of the top indian stars in these games are from this region only.but ya such tournaments can help increase in fan base as well
    and as far as basketball goes it has always been a good attraction mainly in colleges so a league of basketball could be a good hit and can help the game improve much better way in this part of the world
  • some good indian news on other sports

the reason for good crowd support is that all racquet games are already good in southern states as most of the top indian stars in these games are from this region only.but ya such tournaments can help increase in fan base as well
    and as far as basketball goes it has always been a good attraction mainly in colleges so a league of basketball could be a good hit and can help the game improve much better way in this part of the world

I agree on the basketball. Right now we have that 7 foot Indian Basketball player over at the IMG Academy and he is destined for the NBA over here. I hope he plays for my New York Knicks.

Also an Indian Basketball League should be started with teams from Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kerala, Shillong, Pune, Jaipur, Orissa, Lucknow, and Punjab. Sports Cities which can be open to an indoor sport like Basketball.