2016 Sait Nagjee Trophy

The old Sait Nagjee Trophy is back. After a 20 year gap, the tournament will return in February, featuring the national under-23 sides of Argentina and India while also featuring the reserve sides of Hertha Berlin, 1860 Munich, Rapid Bucharest, Watford, and Atletico Parananense of Brazil. Shamrock Rovers of the Republic of Ireland shall also participate in this tournament but not sure whether it will be the first-team or the reserve side of the 17 times Irish champions. I suspect the first-team as they will be in pre-season mode then.

Tournament shall be conducted in Kozhikode, Kerala and the final shall take place 21 February at the EMS Stadium.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4140-hoops-off-to-india
kartik91munna219777samiamshibierNagendrasanvedjadhavarunRishi96Baberto

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9956 Points
    Wait, aren't we supposed to kill these type of tournaments for the good of Indian football? #let'sfootball and all?
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Well... no. If you want to think that way then fine but this tournament is well outside the ISL, will not feature all the best players (I-League is on and I doubt teams will allow their U23 players to go for this tournament), and it would more complement the ISL than compete against it since it is the national team being represented along with some good international sides.
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9956 Points
    So tournaments cannot compete with ISL but they can with I-league. Yet Profool had said I-league IS the premier league of India. This man always confuses me :* .

I am not against this tourney (in fact after a long time, a good tournament is conceived in such a scale), but was wondering about the AIFF's position regarding ISL/I-League vis-a-vis these tournaments.

Also, from the DP it is not clear whether any Indian team is participating or not.
    munna219777
  • hadfadkarhadfadkar 1236 Points
    If India U23 is playing in this tournament than who will play in South Asian Games
  • samiamsamiam 1614 Points
    They end up promoting some kerala club 
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points
    After 2 decades Nagji Football resumes in Kozhikode ( 05-Feb to 21-Feb ) 

Ronaldinho will be the brand ambassador for the tournament. 

1.Argentina national team- under 23 ( <3)
    2.Watford F.C.,9th in Premier League - under 23 
    3.Levante UD,20th in La Liga - under 23
    4.Atlético Paranaense, is a Brazilian football team - under 23
    5.TSV 1860 ,16 th Bundesliga , German sports club based in Munich.
    6.FC Rapid București, Romanian football club.
    7.Hertha BSC , 15th ,Bundesliga , German football club based in Berlin. - under 23
    8.I-League club from India.?????
    kuldeep007nikhilarunkartik91
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points

Practice grounds 1, Devagiri St Joseph college 2, Medical college ground 3, Govt Ganpati HSScholl Ground 4, Farooq College ground

arun
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    Not sure should India U-19s take part in this tournament? A good exposure IMO.

I would love to have U-17 to play in this tournament as practice for AFC U-16 championship up but it might be to huge gap for them to play U-23. 
  • nikhilnikhil blru548 Points
    Playing our world cup bound team would in the U 23 tournament would be a very bad idea. Going head on with the likes of Argentine team would result in scores never heard before and psychological scar.

If only were aiff proactive, it should have convinced malabar football assoc to organize this is an u-17 tourney, then it would have been immensely beneficial. 
  • 7negi7negi India10890 Points
    Argentina U23 players will be released by their respective clubs ?? what i heard teams are coming up with U19 Squad ..
    arun